Pain. Is it real?

quinta-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2010

Ignorem esse post. Coisas da escola!

IB - Theory of Knowledge

- When pain is mentioned, we always think about broken bones, cuts, burned fingers etc. Something that reminds us of a bad or uncomfortable feeling. However, is this feeling real? Can it be created by our own minds? What about emotions? Can we forget painful moments? Let's think about it.

- I would like to start with my own experience. A few years ago, I had a surgery on my feet. The facts: I was frightened, scared, freezing. All emotional feelings. What I felt: pain. As I just had a local anesthetic, I could feel THE anesthetic. The most intense pain I've ever felt in my life.
- In December last year, I had the same surgery. But now, my interest in Medicine and surgeries is what scares me. I was looking forward to go to the hospital and see the doctors again, the O.R., the equipments... When they called me, I just said "By, mom! By dad!" and they were staring at me like who say "Do I know her?". I asked the Anesthesist to give me some sedative before the local anesthetic because I knew it would hurt. 2 seconds later I fell asleep. During the surgery, I went crazy and started speaking English with the doctor and the nurses. I don't really remember what happened, just a few words like "Am I speaking English?" "Oh, ok, sorry. I CANNOT SPEAK PORTUGUESE ANYMORE!", but that's not the point. Two days later, I went to my doctor's office and he said:
- Paula, you were in a lot of pain!
- No! I didn't feel anything this time, because of the sedative.
- Of course you did! You were screaming!
- Hmm.. how?
- You could feel the pain, you just don't remember!
Actually, IV (Intravenous Sedative) doesn't put you to sleep. You remain conscious during IV sedation. You will also be able to understand and respond to requests from your doctor. However, you may not remember much about what went on because of two factors: firstly, in most people, IV sedation induces a state of deep relaxation and a feeling of not being bothered by what's going on. Secondly, the drugs used for IV sedation can produce either partial or full memory loss (amnesia) for the period of time when the drug first kicks in until it wears off. As a result, time will appear to pass very quickly and you will not recall much, or perhaps even nothing at all, of what happened. So it may, indeed, appear as if you were "asleep" during the procedure.
Not that it will interest you, but the sedative used on me is called Propofol. The same used by Michael Jackson just before his death.

- Emotional pain X physical pain;
- "Pain caused by emotional distress is more deeply felt and longer lasting than that caused by physical injuries, according to a new study."
- Psychologists are using the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" to discover how people get over emotional or physical pain.
The researchers asked participants to relive their past painful experiences by writing in detail what had happened and how they had felt. Comparing the results, they discovered that both types of pain can hurt very much at the time they occur, but social pain has the unique ability to come back over and over again, while physical pain comes and goes, at one time painful.

- People literally feel pain of others.
- A brain anomaly can make the saying "I know how you feel" literally true in hyper-empathetic people who actually sense that they are being touched when they witness others being touched. This condition is known as mirror-touch synesthesia. Some people experience touch on their own body when they merely watch someone else being stroked or punched. We often flinch when we see someone knock their arm.

- EFT (emotional freedom techniques)
- Kelly Meisak: "Stress actually comes from emotions; as we experience a vast array of circumstances, we feel emotions accordingly. However, in holding negative emotions within the body we cause disruptions in our natural energy field, and these disruptions then cause physical pain and illness as the energy is unable to flow freely as it naturally would. Never before had such a prominent emotional contributor been so apparent to me in relation to a physical ailment within the body. Notice how the subconscious begins with something seemingly insignificant, and gently unfolds its protection to reveal the layers underneath."

Some people feel pain, some others don't. Are we able to control it? What are you feeling? Is it real pain or it came from your emotions? Does pain really exist?

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário