Why do you wake up in the morning?

quinta-feira, 4 de março de 2010

I was -very interested- reading The Lord of the Flies some seconds ago but I HAD to stop because there is something stuck on my mind and if I do not write about it I will get really annoyed.

So, today in my Business & management lesson, Rachel (my teacher) asked me why I got up early -when it is still dark and cold- to go to school. Why? What for? What motivates you? Tricky one. Not telling you what I answered, too lame. Anyway, today's lesson was about MOTIVATION.

I introduce you to Frederick Winslow Taylor.

Once he said "Workers are lazy and are only motivated by money." Which is kinda true. People are lazy in a general way, with some exceptions, and workers are motivated by money. We work because in the end of the month we have all our bills to pay and $$$$ is necessary.

From Mayo's point of view (another writer), workers are not motivated JUST by money, but also by having their human/social need met.

Then, Abraham Maslow comes, with his freak smile. He scared me this morning.

Yeah, I know. He is a smart guy, though. This is Maslow's Hierarchy of needs:



Which I agree with. Once the basic need at the bottom are met, they go away. The remaining needs, are growth needs. Once these ones are initially fulfilled, they DO NOT go away. In fact, we will try to find new ways to satisfy these needs. It involves your potential, being the best you can be in as many areas possible. According to Maslow, only a small percentage of the population reaches the level of self-actualization.



At this stage (top), you have achieved full happiness and harmony in your life which will motivate you to accept and create challenges. He later modified his pyramid with an addition between the Esteem level and Self Actuation level that included creativity and surrounding yourself with beauty.

Certainly, there is a common sense approach to his theory, and when thought upon, you realize that if someone is consumed with the basic needs of life, then it would be difficult to move on to group activities and appreciation of the arts, much less act in the best interest of the motivator. However, once you move past the basics, the Maslow theory of motivation lends little to the notion that people are motivated by different things. Not everyone is motivated to join group activities or pursue love, but it doesn't make them any less motivated.

In a way, money is still linked to the theories, as in the beginning of the post.
One thing that makes me happy is traveling. I LOVE traveling. By plane, car, train... the second one is shopping. If you are a woman, you know what I am talking about. Shopping is relaxing, exciting, makes us feel better. Being here in England, is also interesting and a lot of money was needed. We all dream about that gorgeous apartment or the dream beach house with a fancy car in the garage. And my beautiful dog running in the yard. Mom and dad drinking tea outside by the pool... OK!

To be honest, I am one of those who will never reach the top of the pyramid. Every time I find out what makes me happy and enjoy it the most, I get bored. Then, I have to start searching for something else, and the cycle never ends. You go from the top to the previous one, to the top again then back down. I always want more, what I cannot have. Maybe this is the meaning of my life. Searching for that one thing that makes me happy! I do not know if someday I will find it and stop searching, but I hope so. Dreaming is good, makes me feel alive. We need to have something to fight for! Otherwise, life gets too boring.

What about you? What do you wake up in the morning for?

3 comentários:

Flavia Donohoe disse...

Oi Paula!
Gostei muito do seu post, parabéns!!
See ya
xx

Gavin Nattrass disse...

My children wake me up. Or the dam seagulls. I am motivated by CAS and what we will be doing at EFIA ten years from now.

Clara Alves disse...

Adorei seu blog, Paula. Adorei seus posts, os assuntos sobre o que você escreve e como você os desenvolve. Tudo! Parabéns pelo blog.
xx

Postar um comentário